Sunday, May 13, 2018

OUGD603 Brief 4: Shadow of the Colossus Initial Ideas

Initial Ideas


One of the biggest factors of the game was how ground-breaking it was on release back in 2005 as it broke the perceptions of what the Playstation II was capable of.  There was nothing close to this upon release and the sheer scale of the game blew people away.  For me, as well as the fantastic designs for the Colossus for the game, something that I took away from it was the attention to detail within the breath-taking architecture within the game.  As I wanted to make sure my submission would stand out more, I had a look at the current submissions on Twitter and it seemed like nobody was focusing on that aspect of the game. 

As well as researching into this game, I have been developing my work with Pixel art with other briefs for this year, but each one was very small scale.  Due to this, I wanted to push myself to create a full scale poster using Pixels as it was something I had not done before and I like the idea of working outside my comfort zone.  With my concept and style for this competition decided upon I began to look at the different architecture within the game and the main ones that stuck out to me were:

            The shrine that served as the games HUB


            The large bridge that stretches across the game


            Any of the multiple arenas scattered across the land



            The alter that you always returned back to


After speaking to people within a Crit who were fans of the game, they said that out of all the areas I had chosen, the altar is the most recognisable from both people who have played the game and people who have only heard of the game. The other ones are just lost in translation.

No comments:

Post a Comment